Methamphetamine Addiction Trends
Methamphetamine, also known as meth, crystal meth, ice, or glass, is a highly addictive central nervous stimulant drug that can be smoked, ingested, injected, or snorted. It is a drug that provides a short-lived euphoria, followed by a crash that causes many users to binge on the drug in order to maintain the high for as long as possible. These binges can last days, quickly causing the person to develop a physical dependence on meth.
If you or a loved one is suffering from any form of addiction or abuse, please call Sylvan Detox at (818) 308-3099.
The United States has seen a sharp rise in overdose deaths due to meth and similar drugs, even though the rise in drug users has not escalated as quickly. This means that something has either changed in the way people are using meth, or the drug itself has changed to become more potent or tainted by other substances. A research team from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) found that many users are using meth and cocaine together and there is a growing trend in other risky behaviors, especially in users aged 18 to 23, people who have co-occurring mental illness alongside their substance use disorder, and those who have low levels of education and low income.
Medical detox for meth, followed by a comprehensive addiction treatment program that includes education, connections to long-term support, and mental health care may be the only way to solve this devastating issue.
When is Medical Detox Necessary for Meth Addiction?
You may need medical detox for meth addiction if you:
- Are experiencing strong cravings for meth
- Cannot quit or cut back on using meth, even if you really want to; experiencing withdrawal symptoms when you try to stop
- Have developed a tolerance for meth, and need to use more to achieve the same high
- Are starting to ignore life’s responsibilities, social activities, and your health in favor of meth use
- Continue to use meth even though it is causing serious issues for you
4 Steps of Medical Detox for Meth
The steps of medical detox for meth include:
- Contact the rehab facility to get started. This will include providing details about your drug use and health over the phone, which, although uncomfortable, is an important part of your intake, so you must be as honest as possible. You will also figure out details such as scheduling, insurance coverage, and payment.
- Assessment by doctors and therapists. When you first arrive at the treatment center you will meet with your care team, and they will perform some physical and mental health tests to figure out which treatments will work best for you. There will also be an interview, so they can get to know you better and find out about your history with meth and other substances.
- Meth withdrawal and detox. Symptoms of withdrawal usually start within the first 24 hours after your last use and can be very distressing and uncomfortable. In a medical detox for meth, you will be provided with prescription medications that may include psychiatric medication, benzodiazepines, and/or medication to help you deal with pain and overcome drug cravings. You will also have counseling and therapy at this time to help you through the difficult emotions and mental health issues you may encounter.
- Rehab. After detox, you will move into your customized rehabilitation program for further treatment. Detoxing is only the first step to overcoming an addiction, and a comprehensive treatment plan that uses behavioral therapy, physical health care, nutrition, exercise, talk therapy, group therapy, holistic treatments, and evidence-based care will help you in all aspects of your wellness, in a patient-first approach to healing that treats you as the complex and nuanced individual you are. You are more than your addiction, and with an integrated treatment plan, you can emerge from rehab healthier on all levels.
Find the Medical Detox You Need to Get Better at Sylvan Detox
It is important to get professional treatment for meth addiction, as long-term meth abuse can cause serious health issues including insomnia, extreme weight loss and malnutrition, dangerous dehydration, cardiovascular issues, seizures, hallucinations and paranoia, formication (the feeling like insects are crawling under your skin), anhedonia (loss of the ability to feel pleasure), psychosis, and permanent brain damage.
At Sylvan Detox, we offer medical detox for meth, along with integrated comprehensive inpatient treatment programs that can help you overcome much more than your physical dependence on the drug. Our programs utilize a mix of therapies, behavioral health treatments, medical care, mental health services, and more to heal the body, mind, and spirit together as you live in our supportive and welcoming atmosphere for an average of 30 to 90 days. Our customized inpatient medical detox for meth includes treatments like:
- Full-time 24-hour-a-day nursing to ensure you are safe and do not suffer from withdrawal symptoms, and to get you back on track with your health, including treating dehydration and malnourishment
- Medication management services, with prescription medications provided by your doctor to help you stay comfortable and avoid insomnia, pain, headaches, and intense cravings. Medications may also be used to treat psychological issues like anxiety, irritation, and psychosis
- Mental health care, is imperative for somebody who has been using meth due to the psychological issues the drug can cause including paranoia, psychosis, hallucinations, depression, and anxiety
After you detox you will move into your rehabilitation program, which will continue with medication management services, as well as:
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Sound therapy
- Saltwater therapy
- Creative healing programs
- Physical fitness and strength building
- Interpersonal psychotherapy
- Denial management
- Anger management
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Aftercare planning
- Relapse prevention programs
- 12-step principles and fellowship introductions
- Dual diagnosis programs for co-occurring mental health disorders
- Case management services
You will have the care and support you need at Sylvan Detox, as well as incredible amenities to keep you healthy, comfortable, and able to focus on your treatments. These include:
- A private chef to cook delicious meals that are wholesome and meet all your dietary needs
- A fully stocked snack bar so you never need to worry about going hungry between meals
- An outside lounge area including a basketball hoop
- Entertainment like a pool table, a ping pong table, games, books, and yoga, and meditation classes
- Sound healing can help unblock pent-up emotional and physical pain for your overall wellness
- Phone time is allowed after an initial blackout period so you can stay connected to those you love most
- Housekeeping services are provided so you can focus on healing in a clean and comfortable space
- We do weekly store runs for items you can purchase including hygiene or food items
Detoxing from meth is not an easy thing to do, so our team of professional doctors, therapists, and other care providers will do all they can to ensure you are comfortable and safe. Somebody will always be there, day and night, to talk to, and with your medications, therapy, trauma-informed care, and holistic treatments you will have a restorative experience as you gain the recovery skills and connections to outpatient rehab, partial hospitalization programs, intensive outpatient programs, 12-step groups, peer groups, and more that you need to remain in long-term sobriety after you leave our treatment center.